Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Game of Sholarships....Part II(INTERVIEW DAY)

Helloooo,
It brings great pleasure to me to inform you that I had been short listed for the interview. However the way it happened is tragic for me and certainly amusing for you. Some of my friends received letter for SO inviting them for the interview to be held on Tuesday which was two days later. I was deeply disappointed for not receiving the letter. My rational wheels started churning, trying to figure out reason of my not being short listed. "What could be their criteria of selection?"."Why ain't I got selected?". Many such questions haunted me for sometime. Ultimately I gave in and took part in my friends happiness. Tuesday is full of worthless lectures meant only to torture students and waste their creative time. I bunked college and was enjoying my leisure at home. As
usual, I was surfing the net, visiting social sites, reading my scraps etc when me cell rang.

It was 1:30 p.m. My friend Sameer who had gone for the interview called me. He told me that although I did not receive letter, my and my friend Gautam's name were present in the list of interviewee and we can come for the interview. Also our interview was scheduled at 3 p.m. The news was more of a shock to me than a felicity. Damn, I am not prepared. I have not visited the venue before. I won't be able to reach on time. What to do?. In this dilemma, I saw that Gautam is calling me. He asked me to meet him at the station so that we could go together. Sounds good, it helped me to calm down and think logically. We went there in hurry trying our level best to reach as soon as possible.

The moment we reached, a Madam in the class where all candidates were sitting told us that since we are late, our interview will be taken in the last. It could be seen with two different angles. First is that, the interviewers will be very tired by the end and will not bother to trap us in their sphere of questions. Second is, since we are last, they will not take interest in our forms and all and we will be shoved off without proper conduction. I always try to be +ve, so I chose the former.

We sat there for 3 hours. Candidates who are done were encircled and asked what questions judges are asking. Nobody was sure about the criteria of selection. Some were asked technical questions, others economical, some on family background and worst some on general knowledge. We began framing our answers for all possible situations. As time drew nearer, my hear pounded louder and faster. Finally it was my turn. I kept reminding myself to show confidence and be honest as much as possible.
When I entered the room, there were three judges sitting and one chair with a table for candidate. I took a seat and interview began.

Judge 1: Why are you late?
Me: (Slightly loudly to show confidence) "Sir, I had not received letter?"

Judge 2: Who informed you then?
Me:(loud again) My friend who came her saw my name and informed me.

Judge 3(lady): Are you angry?
Me:No Madam(maintaning my loudness).

Judge 3: You sound like you are angry.
Me: (softly this time)Sorry Sir. errr Madam.

Judge 1: Your income is pretty high. I don't think you need scholarship.
Me:(damn, these judges)(I began giving all possible excuses)"Sir, though my income is high, expenses are also high. I have three siblings. Their expenses, college fees, tuition fees, then my sister got married last year, also my grandparents are going for Haj this year. Also these involves a lot of expenditure. If I get this scholarship, it will reduce some burden on my father.

Judge 2: But scholarship is not for that. Scholarship is meant for travelling expenses.
I became quite. Damn it, I will never be able to convince them. I gave in.
Judge 1: O.K, you may go. All the best.

The interview was very bad. They directly told me that you will not get scholarship as your fathers income is high. However, now I am free. All my friends are in jittery and tension. They don't know what the outcome will be. They desperately want scholarship, yet their interview was not so good as to confirm their grant. As for me, though I am out of the race, it was a great experience for me. It was my first interview ever and I had the privilege of confronting my fear, nervousness, anxiety. I didn't gain money but something more valuable which gives satisfaction to me. It is EXPERIENCE.

1 comment:

  1. oh!! my dear
    Forget the fear
    bcoz same here!!!!...they were ridiculous but the difference was i was banged in MBA style....lolz

    ReplyDelete