Saturday, October 17, 2009

Standards Of Beggars...

In India, we never need to find a beggar. Just step outside your home on your houses front road and you will see one. They are present everywhere, especially near Masjids, temples, churches etc. Because they earn more on these places. In due course of time, beggars have raised their standards. Just like inflation is rising every year, beggars have also raised their threshold amount. It varies from beggar to beggar.

When I was child, I could see that beggars got satisfied even after receiving Rs0.25. However it was long back. As I entered my teenage, I was surprised and taken aback when one beggar straight forwardly refused to take Rs1 and declared that I take Rs2 or more. I felt quite embarrassed and disgusted. Then I composed myself and thought, "Perhaps he has too much to beg for a rupee. He must be having a certain higher level than others".

Few years later, again I found myself in a similar kind of situation. By nature, I am altruistic. Because of this benign attitude, I tend to pity people living much below than average standard of living and extend a helping hand to them. I did the same thing that day. I offered the beggar Rs2 feeling complacent as Rs2 was not so meagre as to be denied. As a told you I was again given a shock. He refused Rs2 and demanded Rs5. Damn it, what these beggars think of themselves. They demand money as if we owe it to them and it is our congenital duty to repay the debt. I was bewildered to realize that these beggars find Rs2 too less to be accepted. Nevertheless, he must having a standard even higher than the previous one.

Not all beggars are the same. Some respect money and also the giver. My next illustration will prove this . My Engineering college had started. I was going for my morning lecture. No sooner did I reach the college, I saw an old man sitting there. Without paying much attention, I was about to pass him when he stopped me. Let me put it in his own words here. He said, "Wait boy. Can you please give me Rs5 so that I can eat a 'wada pav'. " I was surprised for two reasons. First of all, this so-called beggar is speaking in English. Secondly he is asking for money by clearly specifying why he needs it. Perhaps, he is a literate beggar who wants to walk with this modern world. . His courtesy, literacy, and emotional voice took no time to melt me. I immediately gave him Rs5. However I was later in ambivalence whether he actually needed money to eat or he fooled me. Watever it is, His standard must be even higher than the previous two.

Recently, 2 months before to be specific, I met an old man in the market. I would not call him beggar because I myself am in dilemma who he was. He approached me. He was wearing an ordinary Kurta-pyjama, had beard and was roaming like any other man there. He came and told me to give him some money as he wanted to buy medicines. I was confused for a little while. Then I thought a little and started asking him questions. "What is the medicine for? How much it will cost?"etc. To earn my faith and convince me he took me with to the chemist shop. Now I was convinced that he isn't lying. He got the medicine, I paid the chemist we had a small chat and then departed. He was one of those who refuse to beg, but have to ask for help from others for their smallest of needs. "He was a needy man, not a beggar", I thought.

0 comments:

Post a Comment